Alabama Bankruptcy Assistance Project (ABAP) Coordinator
Job Summary and Qualifications:
The Alabama Bankruptcy Assistance Project (ABAP) is a project developed by the South Alabama VLP, Montgomery VLP, Madison County VLP and Alabama State Bar VLP. ABAP will provide bankruptcy assistance services in Chapter 7 bankruptcies to low-income Alabamians, removing barriers to employment and housing and benefiting the community as a whole. The ABAP coordinator will be employed by the South Alabama VLP, but their main office will be located at the Alabama State Bar in Montgomery.
The ABAP project has two components: 1) comprehensive bankruptcy training for volunteers; and 2) centralized staffing that would streamline client case development and minimize the administrative burden on volunteer attorneys, increasing the number of clients served. The ABAP coordinator, guided by an advisory council consisting of U.S. Bankruptcy judges, Chapter 7 trustees, VLP program directors and practitioners, will coordinate the development of this exciting new project.
- Recruiting and retaining volunteers to participate in the ABAP, through the development and implementation of strategies to expand the pool of volunteers accepting pro bono referrals;
- Independently facilitating the placement and tracking of eligible cases with volunteers;
- Serving as a key liaison to volunteers and providing training and support to volunteers;
- Planing and developing volunteer recognition efforts;
- Managing ABAP program development and delivery of legal services; and
- Other duties as directed.
- Commitment to access to justice for all;
- Ability to treat everyone with compassion, dignity and patience;
- Ability to recruit, manage and recognize a volunteer corps consisting primarily of lawyers, paralegals and other professionals in the legal field;
- Ability to perform detailed, accurate and complete work product;
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally;
- Effective organizational skills;
- Ability to collaborate with the VLP program directors, volunteers, the courts and others; and
- Experience and familiarity with office equipment and computer programs including Best Case, Pacer and other legal programs necessary to perform key functions of the position.
The ABAP coordinator should be a qualified attorney with bankruptcy experience. This is a full-time position with office space in Montgomery.
Evening or weekend work may be required. Travel, predominantly in-state, is a requirement.
Salary will be based on qualifications and experience.
Please send a cover letter and resume with references to:
Alabama State Bar
ABAP Search Committee
P. O. Box 671
Montgomery, AL 36101
(334) 517-2247 fax
South Alabama Volunteer Lawyers Program is an Equal Opportunity Program and Employer and persons seeking employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, age or any other consideration prohibited by law.