Director of the Jefferson County Public Defender's Office
The Indigent Defense Advisory Board for the Birmingham Division of the Tenth Judicial Circuit of Alabama will receive applications from any person interested in the position of Director of the Jefferson County Public Defender’s Office for a three (3) year term.
WHAT THE DIRECTOR MUST DO:
- Develop an intimate understanding of Jefferson County’s criminal justice system and its unique needs.
- Hire/maintain sufficient staff to provide indigent defense services for Alabama’s most populous county consisting of attorneys, paralegals, investigators, legal assistants, etc. This will be comparable to managing a large law firm.
- Provide the dual advantage of quality legal representation while providing greater control over indigent defense expenses.
- Manage relations with the D.A.’s Office, the Circuit’s Judges, the local and state Bar and the County’s other indigent defense services, such as Legal Aid Society and Alternative Sentencing Programs.
- Launch new initiatives and strategies to promote the image of the Public Defender’s Office of the State’s most populous county, to Alabama’s people, and the rest of the nation.
- Provide leadership in the reform of indigent defense in Alabama.
- An applicant must be prepared to serve the Public Defender’s statute-defined term of three years, subject to renewal.
- An applicant must be a member in good standing with the Alabama Bar or become so prior to taking office and a member in good standing of every other bar of which the applicant is a member.
- An applicant must have a minimum of five years criminal practice experience, preferably with significant criminal trial experience, which demonstrates an ability to provide & inspire zealous representation of consistently high quality to criminal defendants.
- An applicant must be able to manage an office.
- The applicant must be or become a resident of the Birmingham Division of Jefferson County prior to taking office.
- An applicant should demonstrate competency, integrity, & leadership.
THE APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Description of the individual seeking to apply, to include complete professional resume and copies of all appropriate licenses and admissions to practice.
- Description of experience as a criminal defense lawyer.
- Description of experience in managing lawyers and law office management (budgeting and finances).
- Detailed description of the services proposed to be provided and the methods to be employed in the provision of such services.
The application shall be submitted and received by the Indigent Defense Advisory Board on or before the close of business on Friday, May 10, 2019. All applications and seven (7) copies of the same should be submitted to:
Judge Joseph L. Boohaker, Chairperson
Indigent Defense Advisory Board
370 Jefferson County Courthouse
Birmingham, Alabama 35203